Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Family and Power in NJ

Here on the east coast mother nature showed us signs of the 2011-12 winter pre-game show in October.

Yes, it snowed and because of the crappy weather and the bazillion trees that took the power out faster then Kim Kardashian’s marriage, my family had to spend a few days over my house in NJ because they were without power. So the NY crew of Mom, Dad, Sis, kids and the 2 lb Yorkie who is like watching a dog on 5-hour energy roll into my house for a short stay. This took me away from my lunch buddy for a day and left me with a bunch of pent up pet peeves and stories I had no one to tell.

The 3 days really brought me back to growing up in the Bronx, NY where everything revolves around the meal. Everything. From the shopping list, to understanding what time everyone is going to be home from work, to the side dishes that go with the steak or pasta and to the dessert that ALWAYS follows 20-25 mins after the dinner table is cleaned up.

During the 3 days, Mom cooked and cleaned up afterwards always with an intense look on her face, very much into the role like it was 1980 all over again. The only difference this time was that she didn’t find my Playboy books under my bed or scream about my room looking like sh#t, instead, she needs a Venti Vanilla Frappuccino Light with 3 scoops of Starbucks Vanilla powder after EVERY meal (of course in addition to the dessert). Once Starbucks and dessert is done, mom falls asleep talking to you.  

As for Dad, he doesn’t believe in just making the best of  “a situation”. He basically needs a full meal with every sitting. No pizza or ½ of sandwich and soup for him. No way. He needs a steak or pasta with Meatballs and Sausage, a side, a salad, french bread and a tub of breakstones butter to wash it all down. Uh yeah, Acai or Smoked Salmon Sushi is not in his dictionary.

This would sum it up for ya.....








Each night when everyone is about 30 mins from snoring so loud you have to hold the furniture down so it doesn’t fly away, Dad breaks out the zip lock bag filled with about 7 different prescriptions he’s on to help his heart and diabetes. Now that he ate his 3,000 calorie dinner and dessert he turns into Mr. Serious/Dr. Oz with statements like “Ya know My Dr. said you should never blah blah blah”. I’m looking at him and nodding but inside saying to myself “Is he kidding me or what?” 

Through it all every night we laughed, we ate, we gossip, we ate, we got under each others skin (at times with some awkward silence involved), but all in all they are my family and I love them and glad I could help out when they needed me. 

Look forward to picking up my routine again with John tomorrow and getting back to Wegmans lunch hour to my same sandwich, organic chips and diet soda pick of the day.

Later Peeps.

Matt

2 comments:

  1. Matt, you crack me up. My husband's family is Italian. This sounds familiar. YIKES.

    I'll be checking in on you often.

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    It helps when you can vent!

    ReplyDelete

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC